Tuesday 6 January 2015

Too-tight boots - Poem

Those boots were too tight.
Yours from your youth,
too small for me.
Still you forced them onto my feet and
dragged me to the river
of ice too thin for me and my too-tight boots.
The last of a hard winter.

You pulled me along,
kicking against the dead weight of too-tight boots.
Hot blood soaked through my socks
as toenails broke adjoining skin,
but I only felt your pain
as you sank your claws into my wrist,
deep impressions of tiny crimson crescent moons,
just to remind me of your unnatural strength.

I tried to prise your fingers open
and begged for you to let go
of my wrist, of the hold you had on me.
But I tripped over my feet,
numbed from too-tight boots and
snow crunched beneath my knees.

In that moment, you stopped
and hunched over me.
Thought maybe you had seen yourself in me.
And you did.
Still you grabbed me by the scruff and
threw me to the ice.

I grappled for the shrubbery
to centre me, to hold me down
and I remember looking back to you
for sympathy, foolishly longing for a fleeting comfort,
for the assurance of a secret harness or shallow depths,
but your eyes were dead
clouded glass marbles,
shattered orbs
awaiting disaster.

And then the river groaned
beneath my bladed feet,
weaponised to secure me.
But my too-tight boots dragged me down,
and splintered the too-thin ice

and I fell through

blindly thrashing against the surging vortex.
I reached for you
to pull me up to the safety of dry land,
to suck the water from my shrunken lungs
and cut away these too-tight boots,

But I never found your hand.
So I let the raging waters embrace me,
carry my body beneath
until my hair tangled in surrounding briar
and abandoned me,
a white pain across my scalp,
too much to bear,
so I suckled sweetened algae bloom
until this winter faded to eternal summer.

By the time they pulled me from the water
my face was hardly mine.
Wax lips, purple torn skin,
red voodoo eyes,
like one of those dolls you never let me play with.

I had years left in me,
but now I will never know
what it is to love
as you did those too-tight boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment