Tuesday 6 January 2015

To Never Staying Young - Poem

I never knew why he needed such a big bed
but now I know
that no other bed was big enough
to contain his
monstrous ego.         

He drank nearly as much as a fish that night,
slurping aged whiskey from a crystal decanter
and choking us
with tar-laced fumes.

I don’t know what he said to you
in that gigantic room
with the mahogany dresser and the bone comb set,
because all I heard was muffled voices
and the crash of glass on concrete.
Such loutish, unruly sounds.

I know you cried that night
when you thought you were alone.
But I was there
waiting in the darkness,
holding back my tears

Your eyes had always scared the monsters from under my bed
but you couldn’t keep them from your own.

And I grew up in that moment
because my world grew dark

in the absence of your light.

No comments:

Post a Comment