Tuesday 6 January 2015

The place that I call Home - Poem

Sometimes I dream of dark and hollow lands
in the hours between dusk and dawn
and of a house I once abandoned
in the company of spiders
and of a beast,
tall and green,
lurking in the shadows
of that lonely house.

I thrash and writhe against my sheets
as it crawls towards me
with snarled teeth and hooked claws,
a frightful sight indeed.
So I run,
usually,
until my lungs explode and choke me.
But the ground never moves beneath me.
And the wicked beast always captures me
in it’s vice-like grip
and drags me to the sea
and drowns me in a whirl of memories.

But now that I am in my summer
these visions do not startle me
or wake me from my slumber.

Now I can lie and wave as those glimpses of a life pass by me,  
fixed in time,
like grains of sand in an antique watch.
And now I can confront that beast
and pet it on the head,
for it can be so placid
on a leash 
left to its own devices.
It is a pitiful sight,
unarmed and drooling,
peering through the window of my dreams.

But sometimes I let my dreams ensnare me
and for a moment we become one:
the darkness, beast and me.
But in my waking
I know that we will never be
together as one.

Because they will not consume me
and I will not drown in that lonely sea
for I have already conquered these dark and hollow lands.





No comments:

Post a Comment